I'm not the only one

Sounds like the stay-at-home wife phenomenon is growing in popularity. This article, detailing the lifestyle choice of non-working childless women, hit close to home. There are probably situations (I'd like to believe) where the man is the chosen homemaker, but this article focuses on women. In most cases, couples are in enough of a financially stable situation that one of them can stay at home to focus on household chores. This frees up the working half of the couple from having to deal with laundry, groceries, etc. when they come home.

Granted, my situation is a little different. Although they do mention health being one of the reasons for not working, most times this a deliberate lifestyle choice to relieve stress for both parties in the marriage. When I quit my last job three years ago, I had every intention of seeking new employment. I had spent 7 years on and off working as a software engineer and had concluded programming was not my life's calling. I was in the middle of desperately trying to figure out an interesting new career path that would not require me to go back to school when I went back on dialysis. While the first time I was on dialysis I worked full time, this time I just didn't have the energy.

On more than one occasion I have heard, "what do you do all day?". Dialysis makes this a tricky question to answer. Three days out of the week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) I dialyze in the morning and don't get home until around 11:30. I have some lunch, take a long nap, and never completely recover the rest of the day. So my answer on those days is usually: "nothing". Tuesdays and Thursdays are when I feel ok enough to walk the dogs, grocery shop, do the laundry, some cleaning, and handle bills (mostly medical). Any appointments I have I try to schedule for these days, too.

Oh who am I kidding, we all know what I do all day:

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my God....you and League could NOT be more perfectly suited for one another.....we all know he cave dives all day too.....

Popular posts from this blog

October Update

Cardiac Update

Matters of the Heart, the Second Part