Congratulations to Wagner

I've known the honorable Heather 'Daredevil' Wagner for over 10 years and for most of that, she's been pursuing some form of higher education. Heather and I met at Human Code where we both worked starting in 1998 and she's been one of my best friends ever since. She was nice enough to agree to be my maid of honor at my wedding in 2000 and has since gone above and beyond the friendship call of duty. When I was waiting in the hospital for my second kidney to arrive, she was there all afternoon and evening until someone finally made her go home around midnight. She also flew out to San Diego to help me celebrate my 30th birthday and made more than one trip to the desert wasteland of Chandler, AZ to visit (if that's not true friendship, I don't know what is). There was also the time she had to rush me to the hospital for a kidney biopsy and then sat with me all night while I rode the high of my vicodin/valium/morphine coctail and babbled incoherently.

Most valiant of all: she kittysat Jeff the Cat.

Heather has been on a quest for her occupational calling since we met. She was working as a producer at the time, but didn't see herself producing her whole life and so went back to school at UT to finish her degree. Shortly after that she decided she wanted to pursue speech pathology, but realized she lacked the undergraduate credits required for this path of study and once again headed to UT to get prepped for graduate school.

Exactly one month before Ryan and I made it back to Austin, Heather moved out to Lubbock, where she knew absolutely no one, to begin three years of graduate work at Texas Tech.

I am happy to report that last Saturday, May 16, Miss Heather is officially graduated and is coming home to Austin. She is now a real live Speech Pathologist. Congratulations, Heather - words aren't enough to say how proud I am of you and how much I admire you. You didn't give up, you accomplished what you set out to do in sometimes incredibly difficult circumstances. I love you to pieces and wish you the best of luck in your new career.


Hopefully she won't get all uppity on me and start telling me "you're not saying it right"

Comments

J.S. said…
Congrats, Heather!!! You da bomb!!

Popular posts from this blog

October Update

Cardiac Update

Matters of the Heart, the Second Part